Were you Educated as an OT outside of Canada?

Occupational Therapists Educated Outside of Canada

Important Notice for Internationally Educated Applicants (IEOT’s)
As of May 1, 2015, occupational therapists who have completed their OT education outside of Canada – including Canadians who travelled outside Canada for their OT education – and who want to register for practice anywhere in Canada (except Quebec), must first apply to the Association of Canadian Occupational Therapy Regulatory Organizations (ACOTRO) to complete a new assessment process called the Substantial Equivalency Assessment System (SEAS). Once deemed Substantially Equivalent by ACOTRO, applicants may apply to the provincial regulator of their choice to continue the registration qualification process.

What is SEAS?
SEAS is a new assessment process to determine the extent to which an internationally-educated occupational therapist’s (IEOT’s) educational qualifications and competencies are substantially equivalent to those of a Canadian-educated occupational therapist.  SEAS is a multi-stage assessment approach that:
• examines the education that IEOTs originally completed
• allows IEOTs to demonstrate what they know and can do, and
• ensures IEOTs are familiar with the Canadian legislation, ethics and standards of practice as they relate to occupational therapy practice in Canada.

SEAS has Four Main Components:
Review of the Academic Credential Assessment (ACA)
Profession-Specific Credential Assessment (PSCA)
Jurisprudence Knowledge Assessment Test (JKAT)
Competency Assessment

As part of SEAS, all internationally-educated occupational therapists will also be required to demonstrate a minimum level of language proficiency, based on a standard upon which all ACOTRO members have agreed.  The cost of SEAS will be $3,100 per applicant.

For more information about the new assessment process and its associated requirements and fees, please visit ACOTRO at: www.acotro-acore.org

Please Note: Internationally-educated occupational therapists who have applied for registration with NLOTB prior to May 1, 2015, and whose applications are currently being processed by NLOTB, will have one year within which to complete their registration process under the current system, and will not be required to be assessed through the Substantial Equivalency Assessment System (SEAS), which is a new assessment process.  Any current applicants who do not complete their registration within the one-year period must apply to the Association of Canadian Occupational Therapy Regulatory Organizations (ACOTRO) to complete the new assessment process.

Registration Requirements: Internationally Educated Occupational Therapists: (for applications received before May 1, 2015)
Internationally educated occupational therapists wishing to practice occupational therapy in Newfoundland & Labrador (NL) must be registered with the NL Occupational Therapy Board before beginning any type of occupational therapy practice. To apply to NLOTB, you must complete the Registration Application Form, under the “Form, Resources & Links” Section of www.nlotb.ca and submit relevant documents to show that you meet the registration requirements.

NLOTB has Three Registration Categories:
Full License
Provisional License
Temporary License

1. Full License  This category applies to individuals who meet all requirements of the Board and are able to practice without restriction. To register in this category, applicants must meet the following:

Education Requirements:
a) Graduated from a school of occupational therapy approved by the World Federation of Occupational Therapists or has an academic qualification which meets the standards for eligibility to write the National Occupational Therapy Certification Exam, administered by the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT),
b) Successfully completed 1000 hours of fieldwork or clinical practicum as part of the education program and
c) Successfully completed the National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination (NOTCE).

Currency/Recent Practice Hours:
a) 600 hours of occupational therapy practice within the 3 years immediately prior to application. Verification of hours worked may be required directly from the employer(s),  or
b) Successful completion of NLOTB’s Re-Entry to Practice Program, within the 18 month period immediately preceding application, or
c) Graduation from an approved school of occupational therapy as per Education Requirements 1(a) and 1(b) above, within the 18 month period immediately preceding application.

Regulatory History:  Regulatory History Forms must be completed by all jurisdictions where the applicant has worked in the 10 years immediately preceding application. Completed forms must be forwarded directly to NLOTB from the jurisdiction or board where licensing occurred.  See website: www.nlotb.ca  “Forms, Resources & Links” for Regulatory History Form.

Professional Liability Insurance:  Professional Liability Insurance is a requirement of licensing. The majority of our members purchase insurance through CAOT. Other insurance options can be submitted to the NLOTB for review.

Membership with Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT):  Membership with CAOT is a requirement of licensing. See www.caot.ca for details of membership application.

Membership with NL Occupational Therapy Association (NLAOT):  Membership with NLAOT, the professional occupational therapy association, is a requirement of licensing. Membership fees are included on the NLOTB registration form and the NLAOT fee is paid  at the time of the NLOTB application. A separate application form is not required. Visit www.nlaot.ca website for more information.

Payment of Applicable Fees:
Please see website www.nlotb.ca “Forms, Resources and Links” Fee Schedule. There is an option for electronic payment via paypal. See welcome page on website for link.

2. Provisional License:
Applicants, who meet all of the requirements for a Full License, with the exception of successful completion of the National Occupational Therapy Certification Exam, may apply for a provisional license for up to one year, provided they are registered to write the exam at the next available sitting. Provisional licensees are required to have a mentorship agreement with a fully licensed Occupational Therapist with NLOTB.  Applicants, who do not meet currency requirements, but all other requirements, may apply for a provisional license to complete a Re-Entry to Practice Program.

3. Temporary License:
This category is intended for those therapists who are registered in another Canadian jurisdiction, but enter the province of NL to practice temporarily as a consultant or educator/instructor. To register in this category, applicants must have:
-A valid certificate of registration from another jurisdiction.
-Have an offer of employment that does not exceed four months within a twelve-month period.
-Have professional liability insurance.

Related websites: