Newfoundland & Labrador Occupational Therapy Board

You & Your OT

Occupational therapists are professionals who are university-trained and who have completed a minimum of 1000 hours of supervised fieldwork experience. In most provinces, occupational therapists are required to pass a national certification examination before they are eligible to practise independently.

In the province of NL, an occupational therapist must be registered with the Newfoundland & Labrador Occupational Therapy Board.

People who need assistance participating in everyday activities often benefit from occupational therapy. These activities include what we do every day, i.e., self-care, leisure, education, home management, volunteering and work. You may have difficulty participating in activities due to an illness or disability, or due to the social, institutional or physical environment.

When you see an occupational therapist, he or she will assess and evaluate your ‘occupational performance’. This means your ability to choose, organize, and effectively and safely perform everyday activities.

Following this, together you and your OT develop a plan to improve, maintain, or restore your occupational performance and, your health. The plan may include:

  • training, education and counselling;
  • obtaining aids and specialized equipment (e.g. wheelchair); and/or
  • evaluating and modifying home, school or work environments.

In addition to direct care to individuals of all ages, occupational therapists may also work with groups and communities assuming the role of researcher, educator, manager, consultant, and advocate and/or program planner.

Places OTs Work

Occupational therapists may provide services where clients live, play or work. People may also receive occupational therapy in settings such as hospitals, schools, care facilities, community care centres, mental health facilities, clinics, employment and training centres, and private practice offices. In addition, occupational therapists provide service in many other environments such as the penal system, the military and social services.

Cost of Services

In NL, occupational therapists can work in both public and private practice settings. There are a variety of funding sources including but not limited to public MCP, private individual pay, workers compensation, insurance, etc. There is no set fee for occupational therapy services.

Finding an OT

Please contact the Newfoundland & Labrador Occupational Therapy Association for more information.

NLOTB logo